The Metropolitan Police Office (MPO), Ranipokhari, Kathmandu was established on 01/08/2063 B.S. as the primary law enforcement agency for Kathmandu, Lalitpur and Bhaktapur districts of the Kathmandu Valley. It has authority to command all the police components located in its area of responsibility. The chief of Metropolitan Police Office is the Deputy Inspector General of Police who reports to the Inspector General of Police.
|Metropolitan Police Office Building||Metropolitan Police Logo||
Metropolitan Police Flag
The Metropolitan Police comprises of Public Security Division, Administration Division, Intelligence Division, Inspectorate, Crime Division, Traffic Division, Armed Police Battalion, Riot Control Battalion, Garrison Battalion, Control Room, 3 Ranges, 18 Circles, 60 Sectors, 3 Area Police Offices and 23 Police Posts at present. Other Divisions and Sections will become functional in due course.
The Metropolitan Police Office today is on the forefront of technological crime fighting advances from highly developed advances in evidence analysis to state-of the-art-information technology.
These modern techniques are combined with a contemporary community policing philosophy, referred to as Policing for Prevention.
Deputy Inspector General of Police serves as the Incharge of Metropolitan Police Office, Ranipokhari. He is responsible and accountable for all activities involving the Metropolitan Police Office and establishes professional standards that maintain a high level of integrity and ethical conduct.
The mission of the Metropolitan Police Office is to prevent crime and the fear of crime and provide effective, efficient and fair police service to the people in order to build safe, healthy and prepared neighborhoods throughout the Kathmandu Valley.
Our vision is to make Kathmandu Valley one of the safest valleys in the world.
- Be open and honest
- Work in partnership
- Change to improve
- Treat everyone fairly
- Administrative and Magisterial power to Police.
- Semi-judicial authority for crime prevention.
- Power to issue License.
- Provision to issue confinement letter to notorious persons legally.
- Unitary Command.
- Power to issue orders for smooth functioning of vehicular movement..
- We will have pride in delivering quality police service.
- There is no greater priority than serving the people.
- We will build trust by listening and responding.
- We will respect and support each other and work as a team.
- We will learn from experience and find ways to be better.
Review since its establishment
- Gradual increase in Police strength as planned
- Increase in the number of vehicle as per requirement
- Increase in communication equipment and riot control accessories and equipment
- Delegation of authority to Circle Police Offices to conduct legal proceedings
- CCTV installed at vulnerable places for effective crime prevention and control
- Prompt and effective Police mobilization through CRV
- Partial completion of Primary Phase.
- No further developments made for implementation of Unitary Command
- Police action spent on service delivery and implementation of judicial order
- Police obliged to perform their tasks on their own way
- Police are more engaged in the road related cases
- No progress made on introducing necessary laws.
- Formation of high level committee to study Metropolitan Police System
- Actions are oriented to complete the remaining tasks of the First Phase and provide support to implement the plans of the other Phases.
- Help implement the report of the High Level Development Committee.
- Develop and expand the Intelligence Division.
- Establish and equip Anti-Kidnapping Squad (AKS).
- Implementation of integrated GIS Based Application.
Development order of Metropolitan Police: Click to View